Children’s Consortium and Crouse Hospital to offer parenting and literacy class
The Children’s Consortium and Crouse Hospital announced today the start of a national award-winning program called “Ready, Set, Parent!”. Ready, Set, Parent! is a national award-winning hospital-based collaboration for new parents between EPIC - Every Person Influences Children, Inc. and the Children’s Consortium. The main objectives of the program are to reduce the risk for child abuse and neglect and help parents raise children to become responsible and capable adults.
“ The Children’s Consortium is thrilled to be collaborating with Crouse Hospital on such an important program for parents in the Central New York Region. Ready Set Parent! is not only educational for parents but has a proven track record of improving literacy in adults who completed the program, as well as increase positive feelings toward parenting their children,” said Linda Cleary. Executive Director for the Children’s Consortium.
"As the region's largest provider of maternity care services, Crouse Hospital is pleased to be partnering with the Children's Consortium to offer this important educational program to new parents in Central York," says Cheryl Tibbitts, director of women's and children's services for Crouse.
Ready, Set, Parent! has three key components, Parenting, Literacy, and Health & Wellness and reaches parents in three ways:
- Hospital Coordinators Visit parents of newborns in the hospital within 48 hours of giving birth and respond to parents’ immediate concerns. They are informed about community resources; provided information on safe sleep and car seat safety; and introduced to the Ready, Set, Parent! program.
- While in the hospital, parents are invited to a one-hour Newborn Class to learn more about their babies’ overall development. During this time, parents develop important parenting skills, health and wellness, and literacy awareness that will benefit their baby well into the future.
- Children’s books are given to Newborn Class participants and parents are strongly encouraged to read to their babies.
- Parents are invited to participate in the Ready, Set, Parent! eight-week Workshop Series designed to increase parental knowledge, attitude, and confidence. In doing so, the frequency of high quality interactions with their babies increases, facilitating the development of the babies’ cognitive, language, personal/social, gross motor, and fine motor skills. Demographic data is collected and participants receive regular updates on programs scheduled in their communities.
- Topics include, Tuning In To Your Baby, Coping, Establishing Routines, Learning Through Play, Setting Limits, and Promoting Literacy.
- Each Workshop Series includes two, 2-hour Dr. Talks on Infant Sleep/Nutrition and Safety/Childhood Illnesses.
The Children’s Consortium provides programs and services, including home- and center-based services, which empower families to reach their full potential.