You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your dentist or doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with TMD. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to ask your doctor
- How would I know if my symptoms are due to TMD?
- Is TMD permanent or can it be cured/improved?
About Your Risk of Developing TMD
- What are risk factors that might make me prone to TMD?
- Is my bite abnormal?
- Could any facial or dental abnormalities be exacerbating my TMD?
About Treatment Options
- What kinds of treatment can I use to improve my TMD symptoms?
- Are there self-care measures I can use?
Are there medications I can take to ease my discomfort?
- What types should I use?
- For what length of time should I use them?
- Might they interact with any other medications or supplements I’m using?
- Should I be using a mouth appliance to help me stop grinding my teeth and/or clenching my jaw?
- Should I talk with my dentist about fitting a mouth plate or night guard?
- Is surgery ever appropriate?
- What types of symptoms might make surgery an option?
- What research is there that shows surgery to be of benefit in TMD?
- Are there any complementary or alternative treatments for TMD?
About Lifestyle Changes
- How can I learn to effectively handle stress in my life?
- How can I break my jaw clenching habit?
- Are there other things I can do to lower my stress level?
About Your Outlook
- Does TMD progress, or can it be stopped with appropriate treatment?
- What complications could I suffer if I’m unable to stop its progression?